Friday, January 14, 2011

In the news

I've received several emails (and a phone call) about the news article today about astrological signs having changed. Here's what I have written in reply:

Thanks for your question! In answer, I think it's easiest just to paste a quote from another article that was online today:

Astrology experts say the shift in zodiac signs does not apply to most Westerners, who follow the tropical zodiac, which is fixed to the seasons. In contrast, the Star Tribune article referred to the sidereal zodiac, which is fixed to constellations and is followed more in the East.

The Western zodiac we use today was established thousands of years ago, and corresponds to the seasons of the Northern Hemisphere: the first day of pioneering Aries marks the beginning of spring, painstaking Virgo occurs at the time of the harvest, intense Scorpio brings storms and decaying leaves, etc.

The natural shifting of the heavens over the years means that technically, Pisces has moved into the position of Aries, Aquarius inhabits the physical location Pisces once held, etc. This is the zodiac that Vedic/Eastern Astrology uses, which is why a person's Sun sign (and entire chart) will be different in a Vedic reading than in a Western reading.

I prefer Western Astrology because it is very nature-oriented. To me, Aries exemplifies the energy of spring. Pisces is about completion and letting go, which is much more like the end of winter as we prepare for new beginning.

There was a time, when I first got started in my astrological studies, that I worried -- if Western Astrology was right, then Vedic Astrology had to be wrong, and vice versa. But I've come to believe that we are drawn to whatever system is most appropriate for us, just as we might be drawn to one tarot deck over another -- or one astrological house system over another. One is not "wrong" because it uses different images or different interpretations. But we can trust that we will be drawn to the one that is best for us, at the best time.

And, after 30 years of study and practice, I know for sure that Western Astrology works! And I know Vedic Astrology practitioners say the same about their system.

I hope this helps answer your question!

Pam

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this...it can be confusing! Born on the Capricorn/Aquarius cusp I had wondered if I would be affected, but decided I'd continue to use both signs as I've always done, lol.

    Thanks Pam and Many Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you posted this! My husband, a bit of a skeptic, showed me the Bill Nye video and asked what I thought about it. Well, while I know astrology works, I couldn't explain why I still think I'm Aquarius. I was going to write and ask, and the answer was already there!

    Thanks again,
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my Vedic astrology chart read several years ago. I was a Libra instead of a Scorpio and just couldn't wrap my head around it. I don't remember much about it that resonated - perhaps I was already too steeped in Western astrology (chart read and interpreted numerous times by then), but I love this explanation and observation. Thanks, Pam!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete